1) After viewing Mr. Fisch's world-renown "Did you Know/Shift Happens" PowerPoint, what ideas strike you about the facts presented?
How does this make you think about the world and your place in it? How could this data impact you?
2) Also, what did Danny Macaskill's, "Inspired Bikes" make you think about perseverance, hard work, potential, etc...? How can you apply what you saw from his adventures, doing bike tricks, to your own life?
3) See below:
Definitions Taken From Mindsets The New Psychology Of Success By Carol Dweck
Fixed Mindset Defined:
“The view you adopt for yourself profoundly affects the way you lead your life. It can determine whether you become the person you want to be and whether you accomplish the things you value. How does this happen? How can a simple belief have the power to transform your psychology and, as a result, your life? Believing that your qualities are carved in stone-the fixed mindset-creates an urgency to prove yourself over and over” (Dweck 6).
Growth Mindset Defined:
“This growth mindset is based on the belief that your basic qualities are things you can cultivate through your efforts. Although people may differ in every which way-in their initial talents and aptitudes, interests, or temperaments-everyone can change and grow through application and experience” (Dweck 7).
“The passion for stretching yourself and sticking to it, even (or especially) when it’s not going well, is the hallmark of the growth mindset. This is the mindset that allows people to thrive during some of the most challenging times in their lives” (Dweck 7).
- What are your thoughts regarding these definitions?
- Are the definitions accurate?
- How do they apply to your attitude and approach within the academic realm?